Placing Requests

Transfer, Enrolment and Placing requests

Pupils usually transfer from primary to secondary school between the ages of 11 and 12, so that they have the opportunity to complete at least 4 years of secondary education.

Parents of P7 children will be informed of the transfer arrangements to secondary school normally by the Head Teacher of the primary school the child attends.

Normally children attend the school in their local catchment area. However, there are times when parents wish their children to go to other schools. If you want your child to go to another school then you may make what is known as a placing request. If you live in South Lanarkshire and decide to submit a placing request, we are unable to reserve a place in your local school until we have made a decision on the placing request.

Please note if your placing request application is unsuccessful and all places at your local school are filled you will be offered a place at the next nearest appropriate South Lanarkshire School. If an application for a placing request is made then free school transport is not provided.

If you move outwith your catchment primary school area this can affect your right to transfer to the associated high school and a request to remain form must be completed. If you require further information, please contact Education Support Services on 01698 454102.

Forms are available from schools, Q&A offices or by contacting
Education Support Services on 01698 454102.

They can also be downloaded for completion from the Council website. 

Placing request application form

Completed forms should be returned as soon as possible to:

Education Resources,
Support Services,
Council Offices,
Almada Street,
Hamilton ML3 0AE.

If you are proposing a change of school for your child, please provide as many contact details as possible in relation to the new school so that we can provide a smooth transfer of information relating to your child.